When people think about ‘wellness’, they generally think of how it applies to nutrition, exercise, weight management, blood pressure, etc.
Wellness, however, is much more than physical health. It’s an interactive process of becoming aware of and practising healthy choices to create a more successful and balanced lifestyle. By practising self-care with a focus on achieving holistic wellness, you can greatly improve your quality of life. Wellness is not to be confused with well-being. Where well-being is a perception of state-of-being and wellness relates to intention and action by way of physically doing activities to improve health.
The National Wellness Institute (NWI), in Wisconsin USA, defines wellness as:
“An active process through which people become aware of, and make choices toward, a more successful existence.”
The Six Dimensions of Wellness Model, developed by Dr Bill Hettler, co-founder of the NWI, is a tool that can be used to help a person become aware of the interconnectedness of each dimension and how they contribute to healthy living.
This holistic model explains:
- How a person contributes to their environment and community, and how to build better living spaces and social networks
- The enrichment of life through work, and its interconnectedness to living and playing
- The development of belief systems, values, and creating a world view
- The benefits of regular physical activity, healthy eating habits, strength and vitality as well as personal responsibility, self-care and when to seek medical attention
- Self-esteem, self-control, and determination as a sense of direction
- Creative and stimulating mental activities and sharing your gifts with others
(Source: National Wellness Institute)
When we focus on self-care activities that meet the six dimensions of wellness, we have a pathway to living an optimal life.
Our new guide Helping You, Help Others: The Essential Guide to Self-Care in Employment Services focuses on the 6 Dimensions of Wellness and gives you all the tools you need to create a self-care plan that will help you achieve wellness. It’s the perfect strategy for filling up your cup so that you can help fill the cup of others.
Here’s something that can help!
Helping You Help Others – The Essential Guide to Self Care in Employment Services
Everything you need to know about self-care is right here in this beautiful step-by-step guide that has templates you can edit, print and share.